A TIME FOR JEST & JOY
Or, never forget how to enjoy being alive every day!
By Patience Pantperhog, a peripatetic putz with a nose for addlepated adventure, things that make one go “cowabunga!” and people with a spunky and playful spirit who don’t take themselves all that seriously
A recent U.S. statistical report indicated that people typically spend on average 8.5 days per month commuting to work, and 47 hours a year in traffic jams (up from 40 hours a decade earlier). Just one example of the questionable perks in store for those living in modern megalopolis.
While some fret or fume frantically about “spinning their wheels going nowhere fast” in the express lane of life, others like the “creative loafing crowd” don't seem to mind being in the flow (be it fast or slow). In fact, the latter appear to find fun everywhere, even the ones hidden in life's little challenges!
More often than not, the 'take-life-as-it-comes' types usually work well with what they've got in their kit bag, (and you rarely hear them complaining). In fact, they're the ones building those hot lemonade stands when oodles of yellow citrus fruit show up on their front lawns (even if it is the dead of winter in Nebraska or at the North Pole)! Ludicrous lollygaggers can also be found heading out to hardware stores to buy colorful patio umbrellas, long hip waders, or posh pet beds when the local weather forecaster says it's going to rain cats and dogs tomorrow.
So, perhaps there’s a lesson or two to be learned from the “creative loafing crowd”:
1. Live life to the fullest everyday – find something positive in every situation and person you meet, feel your own rhythm, and explore your reason for being here. When in doubt, ask what your favorite cartoon character would do to solve the problem?
2. Discover your true passion and then follow your heart; after all, it’s the only way to experience peace of mind not to mention happiness beyond your wildest dreams. So you wanna be the world's best rocking horse rider, or you have itchy feet and wouldn't mind climbing a pyramid...go for it!
3. Celebrate something every day you're alive – because after all, you’re the hero or heroine of your very own story, so take a little time to honor every accomplishment be it big or small. Put those gold stars and smiley faces whereever you want; and whatever you do don't forget to give yourself and at least one other living thing a big hug every dug...yup that tree trunk will do just fine!
4. Be around fun people whenever you can; their joyful spirit is to known to add just enough levity to life to defy the force of gravity when it really counts. Or appoint yourself as "Guru of Gaffs" for a day just to chase the gloom and glum away!
5. Share your gifts and talents as well as your light and warmth with everyone; be ready to entertain, encourage and comfort them; and last but not least, be open to receiving the precious gifts and treasures that others may have to offer. If "All for one and one for all" is good enough for the Three Musketeers, it's good enough for you!
By the way, every creative loafer knows that fun and frolic can be enjoyed anytime, anywhere. Life is never boring when you smell roses, collect fairy stones, and find four leaf clovers. And remember to smile and keep a stash of lollypops handy to give to strangers whom you'll meet along the way!